Dr. Carlos A. Leon y Leon holds the position of Instrumentation Segment Manager- Gas Sorption. He has a very strong technical background and experience as a user of Quantachrome’s products during his tenure in industry. For the last 16 years he was employed by Hexcel Corporation as a Senior Research Scientist involved in the development of next generation carbon fibers. From 1992-1998 he served as Quantachrome’s Technical Service Director supporting Quantachrome instruments.
Dr. Leon y Leon received his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering in the Fuel Science Program from Pennsylvania State University. He has authored/coauthored over 70 original research and review articles dealing with surface science, heterogeneous catalysis, materials characterization, and carbon research and technology. Over the years Dr. Leon y Leon has been an active reviewer of technical journals, and has also contributed to international committees (IUPAC, ASTM) dealing with materials characterization methods and applications. He has also been involved in various Professional Societies and most recently has served as Advisory Board Member and Education Chairman of the American Carbon Society. Dr. Leon y Leon has participated in various thesis committees, and has presented a wide variety of technical lectures and seminars at numerous international conferences. He is also fluent in Spanish and the author of several US and international patents and records of invention in the field of carbon fiber development.
Selected Publications / Presentations / Patents
• C.A. Leon y Leon, L.R. Radovic, “Carbon as a Catalyst Support: Review of a Neglected Issue,” Proc. Internat. Conf. on Carbon, University Park, PA (1989), p. 42.
• J.M. Solar, C.A. Leon y Leon, K. Osseo-Asare, L.R. Radovic, “On the Importance of the Electrokinetic Properties of Carbons for Their Use as Catalyst Supports,” Carbon, Volume 28, Issues 2–3, 1990, Pages 369-375.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, M.A. Vannice, “Adsorption and Catalytic Properties of Pd/SiO2, Cu/SiO2, and Pd-Cu/SiO2 Systems: I. Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Oxygen Adsorption on Pd/SiO2 and Cu/SiO2,” Applied Catalysis, Volume 69, Issue 1, 1991, Pages 269-290.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, M.A. Vannice, “Adsorption and Catalytic Properties of Pd/SiO2, Cu/SiO2, and Pd-Cu/SiO2 Systems: II. Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Oxygen Adsorption on Pd-Cu/SiO2 Catalysts,” Applied Catalysis, Volume 69, Issue 1, 1991, Pages 291-304.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, M.A. Vannice, “Adsorption and Catalytic Properties of Pd/SiO2, Cu/SiO2, and Pd-Cu/SiO2 Systems: III. Carbon Monoxide and Benzene Hydrogenation over Pd-Cu/SiO2 Catalysts,” Applied Catalysis, Volume 69, Issue 1, 1991, Pages 305-321.
• V.C. Menon, C.A. Leon y Leon, T. Kyotani, L.R. Radovic, “CO2 Adsorption on Coals Subjected to Swelling in Different Solvents,” ACS Div. Fuel Chem. 36, 1340 (1991).
• C.A Leon y Leon, J.M Solar, V Calemma, L.R. Radovic, “Evidence for the Protonation of Basal Plane Sites on Carbon,” Carbon, Volume 30, Issue 5, 1992, Pages 797-811.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, A.W. Scaroni, L.R. Radovic, “Physicochemical Characterization of Carbon-Coated Alumina,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Volume 148, Issue 1, 1992, Pages 1-13.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, A.W. Scaroni, L.R. Radovic, “Efecto de Recubrimientos de Carbón en las Propiedades Fisicoquímicas de Gamma-Alumina,” Proc. III National Symp. on the Production of Alumina from Non-Bauxitic Minerals, University of Guanajuato, Mexico (1992).
• T. Kyotani, C.A. Leon y Leon, L.R. Radovic, “Simulation of Carbon Gasification Kinetics Using an Edge Recession Model,” A.I.Ch.E. Journal, Volume 39, Issue 7, 1993, Pages 1178-1185.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, L.R. Radovic, “Interfacial Chemistry and Electrochemistry of Carbon Surfaces,” review article in Chemistry and Physics of Carbons: A Series of Advances (Edited by P.A. Thrower), Volume 24, 1994, Pages 213-310.
• J.A. Menéndez, M.J. Illán-Gómez, C.A. León y León, L.R. Radovic, “On the Difference Between the Isoelectric Point and the Point of Zero Charge of Carbons,” Carbon, Volume 33, Issue 11, 1995, Pages 1655-1657.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “Increasing the Speed and Accuracy of Equilibrium Gas Sorption Analyses,” 5th International Conference on Fundamentals of Adsorption, Asilomar, CA (1995).
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “An Improved Method for Evaluating the Active Surface Area of Solid Carbons,” Proc. 22nd Biennial Conf. on Carbon, San Diego, CA (1995), p. 446.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “Introducción a la Caracterización Física de Polvos de Interés Industrial,” Proc. Sociedad Nacional de Industrias, Lima, Peru (1995).
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “Caracterización de Polvos y Tabletas en la Industria Farmacéutica,” invited lecture, Puerto Rican Chemists’ Association, 4th Pan-American Chemical Congress, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1996).
• P.I. Ravikovitch, V. Y. Gusev, C.A. Leon y Leon, A.V. Neimark, “New Method for Characterization of Activated Carbons Using Carbon Dioxide Adsorption,” Proc. Internat. Carbon Conf., State College, PA (1997).
• L.R. Radovic, V.C. Menon, C.A. Leon y Leon, T. Kyotani, R.P. Danner, S. Anderson, P.G. Hatcher, “On the Porous Structure of Coals: Evidence for an Interconnected but Constricted Micropore System and Its Implications for Coalbed Methane Recovery,” Adsorption, Volume 3, Issue 3, 1997, Pages 221-232.
• L.R. Radovic, I.F. Silva, J.I. Ume, J.A. Menéndez, C.A. Leon y Leon, A.W. Scaroni, “An Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Adsorption of Aromatics Possessing Electron-Withdrawing and Electron-Donating Functional Groups by Chemically Modified Activated Carbons,” Carbon, Volume 35, Issue 9, 1997, Pages 1339-1348.
• P.R. Hari Prasad Rao, C.A. Leon y Leon, M. Matsukata, “Synthesis and Characterization of BEA Zeolite by Dry Gel Conversion,” Internat. Symp. on Zeolites and Microporous Crystals (ZMPC-97), Tokyo, Japan (1997).
• A.B. Garcia, A. Martinez-Alonso, C.A. Leon y Leon, J.M.D. Tascon, “Modification of the Surface Properties of an Activated Carbon by Oxygen Plasma Treatment,” Fuel, Volume 77, Issue 6, 1998, Pages 613-624.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “Particle Size Distribution of Carbon Blacks by Mercury Porosimetry,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Volume 71, Issue 5, 1998, Pages 988-997.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “New Perspectives in Mercury Porosimetry,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Volume 76-77, 1998, Pages 341-372.
• P.R. Hari Prasad Rao, C.A. Leon y Leon, K. Ueyama, M. Matsukata, “Synthesis of BEA by Dry Gel Conversion and Its Characterization,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Volume 21, Issues 4–6, 1998, Pages 305-313.
• C.U. Pittman Jr., W. Jiang, Z.R. Yue, S. Gardner, L. Wang, H. Toghiani, C.A. Leon y Leon, “Surface Properties of Electrochemically Oxidized Carbon Fibers,” Carbon, Volume 37, Issue 11, 1999, Pages 1797-1807.
• C.U Pittman Jr, W Jiang, Z.R Yue, C.A Leon y Leon,” Surface Area and Pore Size Distribution of Microporous Carbon Fibers Prepared by Electrochemical Oxidation,” Carbon, Volume 37, Issue 1, 1999, Pages 85-96.
• T.W. Zerda, X. Yuan, S.M. Moore, C.A. Leon y Leon, “Surface Area, Pore Size Distribution and Microstructure of Combustion Engine Deposits,” Carbon, Volume 37, Issue 12, 1999, Pages 1999-2009.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, R. O'Brien, J.J. McHugh, H. Dasarathy, W.C. Schimpf, "Polyethylene and Polypropylene as Low Cost Carbon Fiber (LCCF) Precursors," International SAMPE Technical Conference, 33, 1289-1296, 2001.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, W.C. Schimpf, B.C. Hansen, C.W. Herren, A. Frame, Angie, P.W. Heatherly, "Low Cost Carbon Fiber from Non-Acrylic Based Precursors: Polyethylene," International SAMPE Technical Conference, 34 (2002 M&P--Ideas to Reality), 506-519, 2002.
• H. Dasarathy, B.C. Hansen, W.C. Schimpf, C.A. Leon y Leon, C.W. Herren, A. Frame, P.W. Heatherly, "Low Cost Carbon Fiber from Radiated Textile Acrylics," International SAMPE Technical Conference, 34 (2002 M&P--Ideas to Reality), 520-530, 2002.
• M.M. Maroto-Valer, I. Dranca, D. Clifford, T. Lupascu, R. Nastas, C.A. Leon y Leon, “Thermal Regeneration of Activated Carbons Saturated with Ortho- and Meta-Chlorophenols,” Thermochimica Acta, Volume 444, Issue 2, 2006, Pages 148-156.
• C.A. Leon y Leon, “Carbon Fibers Having Improved Strength and Modulus and an Associated Method and Apparatus for Preparing Same,” U.S. Patent No. 7,749,479 (2010).
• C.A. Leon y Leon, X.Z. Zhou, “Carbon Fiber Mechanical Properties: Reconciling Models and Experiments,” Internat. Composites Summit, Paris, France (2011).
Dr. Carlos Leon y Leon can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org